3/07/2011

Update with no pictures

.
So. The kids are asleep and instead of somehow trying to get the sand out of the clothes piling up in the shower I am vegging on my bed "surfing" the net. "Surfing" these days means I have that little USB stick modem thingy plugged into my laptop hoping it will manage to get a connection with a mobile phone network. When it's working it works great and only takes about as long to load a page as it takes me to flip through all the TV stations to find that there is still nothing on that is worth watching.
.
Other than the absolutely unforgivable lack of wireless internet the rehab center ("Kurklinik") is actually quite nice. It is like a little village with everyone and everything you need right here: doctors, nurses, cooks, teachers, therapists, a daycare, a small pool, gym and even room service. We found out about that great feature when we were quarantined after Finn threw up in the doctor's presence once. Apparently there was a tummy bug going around and even though I told them that Finn threw up from coughing so much we were asked to keep to ourselves for a bit. No problemo. I had wisely raided the toystore before we came and bought some awesome Toy Story lego sets on sale. Buzz Lightyear to the rescue!
Anyway. After his initial check-up Finn got a treatment plan that includes things like asthma education classes, swimming, sports, breathing exercises, oil baths (for his dry skin), relaxation exercises and some medical appointments like testing of his lung function/capacity etc. He and Lily were assigned a daycare room (the "Lighthouse Group") and the kids are taken outside from 10-11:30am every day. The daycare opens at 8am, and I could theoretically drop them off there for most of the day. Usually I take them there shortly before 10am though so they can go outside with the other kids. The daycare teachers make sure the kids get taken to their treatments and are picked up again afterwards. Most of the other mothers are here on mother/child retreats, so they have a treatment plan to follow as well and need the daycare to watch their children. Since I am just Finn's "caregiver" and he is the patient I am free to do what I want. Last week mostly all I wanted was to lay in bed and get over this silly cold that turned into a nasty sinus infection. I am hoping to be back to normal soon. Finn of course got sick too, as did Lily and A LOT of the other kids. We were warned this would happen. Finn is still coughing but at least fever free now.
Before I got sick I braved the cold and ran almost daily while Finn and Lily were outside with their kiddie group. I had to put on three layers to stay reasonably warm, but if I kept out of the wind it was actually really nice! Now that it has warmed up a bit (just above freezing) and the sun is shining I am itching to put my running shoes back on. Soon!
.
Both Finn and I have learned quite a bit about his asthma and how his meds work. And now that he is getting healthier again I am hoping his immune system will be strengthened by breathing in lots of the nice fresh sea air. We will stay until the 16th, so another week. Today we spent hours at the beach, and it was SO nice. Hoping for more sunny days!
.
I have more to say but have probably bored you enough and will try and get this posted before blogger crashes on me (again). We are loving our weekends here because we get to see Oma and Opa who live only a good half hour drive away. Very convenient!
.
And I DID actually try to upload a picture. Ha ha. You will definitely have to wait for those.

No comments:

Post a Comment