3/12/2011

Doing better




Thank you for your e-mails and for thinking of and praying for Finn! I'm happy to report he is doing much better. Yesterday he was back to playing and being goofy, and didn't need pain killers. In the first picture you can see his prize for being brave. He picked Playmobil, of course...
Thankfully, it seems like it really was "just" a hole in his forehead, and nothing else. I was told to watch for signs of trauma to the brain for 48 hours, so I think we are in the clear.
Lily is fine, too. She was really scared when she saw him so hurt, but after the doctor and nurse here cleaned Finn up a bit and bandaged his head I went to get her so she could see for herself that he was okay. And thanks to a good dose of pain killers both kids thought the ride in the ambulance was awesome. When Lily heard the siren she said, "Finn - there's a fire truck coming!". I told her that in fact WE were the ones making all the noise, and she thought that was great. Finn only regretted being strapped down on the stretcher and riding backwards, because he couldn't see anything.
I was happy Lily was picked up by Oma and Opa because our first night here wasn't very restful, with the night nurse checking on Finn all the time. And of course I could take care of him much better without Lily here. I had to cut the bloody shirt off him because I couldn't get it off without it touching his forehead, and I gave him a sponge bath to get the dried blood off. His hair was tricky! No showers until the stitches are out (next Tuesday).
Finn sure gave me a big scare. As Neil can attest to, I do not handle emergencies like this well, especially if there is a lot of blood involved. I am so glad we had a doctor only a flight of stairs away. The accident was witnessed by quite a few other mothers and one of them told me yesterday she had trouble falling asleep because she kept hearing that terrible "thud" when he hit his head. So at least I wasn't the only one haunted by this. I hardly slept that first night, but now that I know he is okay I have somewhat recovered. :) Still, it will be great to be home next week.
It's a blessing to have Oma and Opa only a 40 min drive away. In fact, we are headed there now. Weekends here are "off", no treatments and the daycare is closed. It's a nice, sunny day so I'm sure we will do something fun outside. As long as it doesn't involve running ...

No comments:

Post a Comment