7/08/2009

We're home!

Well, we made it home safe and sound. I had to break the news to the kids that daddy would not be waiting for us in Germany, as he had to leave for a week-long business trip the day before we came back. (We obviously didn't know about that when we booked the tickets.) BUT - Oma and Opa came all the way to Bavaria to be with us for a few days and make the transition easier.

The flight itself went well, in fact it was better than the trip to Canada because this time both of them slept on the overseas flight. Getting on and off airplanes with four carry-on bags and two small kids requires some help sometimes, but we took our time and everything went fine. And I have to say, Finn and Lily were champions! They did what I asked them to do and were generally well behaved, even Lily who missed her noon nap. I brought a ton of toys and games and we played a lot on the flight to Toronto. They loved take-off and landing, and their cheers and screams of joy lightened up the mood in the cabin quite a bit. After touchdown Lily shouted, "More! More!", it was hilarious.

We had a couple hours at the Toronto airport and took our time getting to our next gate. We had some food and water (the wheelchair- and Finn-accessible low water fountains provided endless entertainment) and I made them run around some before we boarded again. As it was a night flight the lights in the cabin were dimmed after supper, and they both went to sleep relatively easily. Lily slept for about 4.5 hours, Finn for about 3. I had to wake them up for landing and getting off the plane. They were a bit groggy, but a lollipop helped to revive them. And while Lily fell asleep in the car on the way home and later had another nap Finn managed to stay awake all day on those 3 hours of sleep.

Here are a few pictures from our trip.



Our flight was delayed in Saskatoon, so they played and ran around for about an hour.




A last stop and Boston Creme donut at Tim Horton's (at the airport).




Here we are rolling through the Toronto airport.


We made it to Munich, hooray!


Waiting for the rest of our luggage. I managed to get all of this through the doors by myself!


And there he was waiting for us: Opa!








No comments:

Post a Comment